If you haven’t tried the craft beer in Wellington, what are you waiting for?! The Capital is home to some of NZ’s top craft beer bars and breweries, and is proud to be known as the nation’s craft beer capital. While you are staying in the city, take some time to visit some of the best places to enjoy a cold one…
Top 5 Places to Enjoy Craft Beer in Wellington
From Upper Hutt through to the Kapiti Coast, the Wellington region has plenty of amazing bars to enjoy some of our locally made craft beer. Here’s our list of the top five bars to enjoy craft beer in Wellington:
- Whistling Sisters – located at the Corner Ghuznee and Taranaki Streets, Whistling Sisters has a great bar in which you can sit back and enjoy a few drinks. With a great menu available in the Fermenetery restaurant, put this on your to-visit list.
- Heyday Beer Co – Grab some mates and head to Heyday’s brewpub on Cuba Street for a meal and try some of their own beer or other popular NZ options.
- The Malthouse – Wellington’s first craft beer bar, The Malthouse on Willis Street doesn’t make a brew, but stocks some of the best locally and NZ made craft beer. Their famous Ugly Bread pizza bread goes great with a few cold ones too!
- Fork & Brewer – home to 42 different taps, make sure you put Fork & Brewer on your pub crawl list. Open seven days for beer and food on Bond Street, this champion brewpub has a restaurant and beer garden just waiting for you to try out.
- Garage Project - with a brewery and taproom in the Capital, you can enjoy a drink on premises and take some home for later. Located on Aro Street, the Garage Project brewery’s claim to fame is that the building was originally a petrol station! Nowadays though, it has eight rotating beer taps for you to fill your own flagons, and up the road, a fabulous taproom in which to sample some of their finest brews.
As well as hitting the pavements yourself, there are plenty of guided craft beer tours you could join too. With most of our furnished Wellington apartments located in or near the city centre, it’s easy to walk, catch a cab or take the bus when you head out for a night on the town.